Every business feels the need for business software to succeed and grow. Depending on the size of a business, these requirements may arise at different times. However, every time such a situation arises, the question remains the same: Should I use ready-made software, or do I need a custom software?
Whether it’s to replace a system we’ve outgrown or discover a new solution to streamline an ineffective process. Software development companies can help get the best possible IT solution. Since they develop both types of solutions, they will be the best to offer a range of packaged and custom software development solutions for small businesses and large enterprises.
In a software-powered world, businesses mainly have two options when it comes to adapting a technology to support their growing needs. Either going for a ready-made IT application or developing a custom IT application. Though, there are pros and cons to both.
If you are planning for software implementation for your company in 2023 and thinking what will be the best choice for a software? Read on to find out what is meant by “readymade” and “custom” software development, their benefits, and drawbacks. So, you can ultimately decide whether you should choose ready-made software or custom software.
Let’s start then,
What is ready made or packaged software?Readymade software is packaged software that comes with pre-built features that cannot be easily changed. These types of software are typically commercial products that are sold either as a one-time purchase or on a subscription basis. All the features are designed to be easy to use for all sized businesses and can be readily used by a business after purchase.Packaged software is often considered the best buy when it comes to integrating technology, due to its proven technology and user experience, unless it is not new in the market. You can expect many benefits and drawbacks when you choose readymade software. In our next section, we will discuss everything in detail.
Major benefits of using readymade software
- Immediate implementation
- Proven technology
- On-hand Support and regular updates
- Customization & Scalability
Drawback of using readymade software – The cons
- Less flexible for growing requirements
- Feature rich but with many unused or unnecessary functions
- Dependency on publisher for maintenance and upgrade schedule (and app lifecycle)
- Lack of Focus on Requirements
- No ownership and Lack of Control
- Long-term Cost Implications
What is custom software development?Custom software works exactly as it sounds. In custom software development, you conceptualize, design, build, and deploy software for a specific individual, group of individuals, or organization or partner. While fully adapting to the needs and scaling demands of the future. Developing your own software can provide a number of benefits that will help you stand out from the competition.Here are a few of the biggest reasons why developing your own software is a smart investment:
The Benefits of Custom Software Development – The Pros
1. Exclusive Solution only for Your BusinessYou choose custom development because you want a solution that is unique to you. Having custom software means just like that, it helps you grow without limits. You can add all the necessary features, make changes whenever you want, and incorporate feedback from customers. While creating an interactive relationship with customers and improve the credibility as a brand.
2. Cost savingsYou can save money on both the initial purchase and ongoing costs when you develop your own software. This is due to the fact that custom software is typically more expensive than off-the-shelf options, but it is worthwhile in terms of long-term savings and increased efficiency. As you only pay for the features you use, unlike readymade software with unnecessary and unused feature.
3. Easy to scale and customiseAs your company grows, it becomes more difficult to manage multiple applications with varying features and functionality. Custom software, on the other hand, allows you to easily add new features or functionality without having to rewrite entire applications from the ground up. This greatly simplifies scaling and expanding your business; no need to outsource or wait for other teams to build out new features!
4. Increased securityWhen you create your own software, you take control of security issues and ensure that your data is always safe and secure. There is always the risk that sensitive information will fall into the wrong hands or be compromised in some way when using third-party solutions. Creating your own software means you have complete control over your data, no matter what happens!
5. Better user experienceCustomized apps are created with the user in mind! This means that users have access to comprehensive menus and instructions, making them simple and enjoyable to use – even for those unfamiliar with technology.
Drawbacks of using custom software – The consFlexible but expensiveImplementation requires a lot of timeNeed for technical ProficiencyNo original developer Support and DocumentationLess technological Competitive Advantage than available commercial softwareUnavailability of proven technology
Hopefully, this explains everything about ready-made software and custom software. Now, let’s find out how they perform when we put them side by side with one another.
Ready-Made Vs Bespoke Software DevelopmentWhen deciding which option is best for your project, we need to take into account the following factors: complexity, features required, budget restrictions, timelines, and team size.Additionally, assess whether your project will be long term or short term in nature – long term investments often offer greater benefits than short term gains.
Weighing the Pros and Cons of Custom Development Vs Buying an Existing Software
|Factors||Readymade Software||Custom Software|
|Maintenance & Support||Yes||Yes|